Saturday, June 29, 2013

Only God Forgives Review


Only God Forgives
3.5 stars out of 4
By Brett Takeshita

Only God Forgives, one of the most controversial -- and highly divisive -- films of the year, is sheer brilliance. It's a complex and challenging film that casts a hypnotic spell with its stunning originality. It will undoubtedly get under your skin and keep you thinking long after it's over.

Only God Forgives tells the story of Julian (Ryan Gosling), the manager of a Bangkok boxing establishment. He's also well-respected in the world of drugs and crime. Julian's life is forever changed once he discovers that his brother, Billy (Tom Burke), has been murdered for committing a heinous crime. Julian's mother, Crystal (Kristin Scott Thomas), comes to Thailand to identify the body. Furious and cold, she orders Julian to avenge his brother's death by killing the people responsible. This leads Gosling on the hunt for Chang (Vithaya Pansringarm), the devilish and unstoppable force who leaves a trail of blood wherever he goes. However, Julian finds himself conflicted. How far is he willing to go to satisfy his mother? Is killing these other men really the right thing to do? Thus, Julian is forced onto a horrifically violent path, as he is pulled further and further into an ever dark and complex world.

While there is an interesting story at the heart of it, Only God Forgives is not a film that is driven by narrative. It's a moody and evocative film that is focused on artistry and atmosphere. Writer-director Nicolas Winding Refn has made a film that will definitely challenge the audience in multiple ways. Those who like a clear story will be disappointed that the narrative is disjointed, with dreams and reality clashing with each other. You won't know what is real and what is not, and thus, you won't know which scenes further the narrative and which are simply there for mood. Those who like complex dialogue will be frustrated that the characters in the film barely speak at all. They might say a couple words here-and-there, but much of it is very ambiguous. And speaking of those characters, boy are they a trip. Refn distances his audience from the subjects of the film. They are deep and complex characters, but we must infer much of their objectives and feelings. We don't know why they do what they do, or why they are the way that they are. Ultimately, Refn has made an anti-Hollywood film, one that will challenge and possibly even frustrate audiences with its strange structure and composition.

So you may be wondering how I could like a film that breaks all the rules. Well, to put it simply, I've never seen a movie like Only God Forgives, and I truly believe that it's one of the most original, bold, and daring works I've ever seen. It worked for me on nearly every level, and the reason why is because of Refn's directorial choices. Each shot, each frame, and each sequence is so carefully constructed and directed. He has crafted a really strange rhythm. The film moves slowly because the characters walk slowly and speak without rushing. However, despite this meticulous and deliberate slow pace, I was always riveted. I never knew where the film was going, and I let Refn's gripping magic fill my mind. The imagery more than captured my attention, and I was stunned by every single aspect of Only God Forgives. I can't quite put it into words. You just have to witness this film to understand what I'm saying.

Perhaps what is most note-worthy is the effect that the film had on me. I can't remember the last time I've had such a visceral reaction to a movie. Only God Forgives literally had me tense from start to finish. I gripped my armrests because my nerves were rattled so much. I was getting antsy because of this slow buildup of dread that welled inside of me. I watched with horror and fascination, as I was tempted to look away from the screen during the unbelievably violent moments of the film. I didn't though because I didn't want to miss out on the sheer brilliance of the brutality. All of this goes along with my personal experience with the film. I can't quite convey how this film had such a great effect on me, but it did. And I loved it.

Hand-in-hand with the experience of Only God Forgives is its technical merits. This is one of the most well-crafted films of the year. Larry Smith's cinematography is the best I've seen in a long time. The look of the film is jaw-dropping. His use of black and red is stunning, and each shot is so perfectly gorgeous. Going along with the brilliant visuals is sonic excellence. The sound mixing and editing is pitch perfect in each scene. And Cliff Martinez's score is sensational as always. His mix of menace and melancholy in his electronic-driven score is spectacular. The weaving of stunning visuals and hypnotic sound works to create a specific mood and feeling for the audience. These two components help leave a lasting impression and truly help get Only God Forgives under your skin.

As I mentioned before, the characters are very complex. Some moviegoers are misinterpreting them as shallow and stupid. However, I loved the characters in this film. Julian is a fascinating protagonist. There's obviously something "off" about him. There are hints of psychological illness from possibly traumatic experiences from his past. Even though I didn't know much about Julian, I still cared about him. I sympathized for him and was always compelled by him. The reason why I connected with Julian is largely because of Ryan Gosling's performance. As many people already know, I am a huge Gosling fan. But for good reason. He always reinvents himself and takes on daring, challenging characters. Even without much dialogue, Gosling is a fascinating and mesmerizing screen presence. He commands the screen and demands the audience's attention. There's something behind his eyes -- something so magnetic -- that is gripping. The way that he broods -- and only occasionally breaks and explodes -- is masterful. This is a tremendous and outstanding lead performance.

Now for the villains. Kristin Scott Thomas' Crystal is another fascinating character. She is a monster. You've never seen Thomas like this before. She is terrifying and delivers her lines with such heartlessness. Whenever she comes on screen, a sense of dread fills you. The fact that Thomas can evoke such feelings is the sign of ingenuity. And Pansringarm's Chang is an equally horrific monster. He's a merciless bad guy, one who does the most terrible things to good people. He's the devil incarnate, and Pansringarm plays this character with incredible power. Both of these horrifically disturbing characters are pure evil, but they're always compelling characters that you seek to understand -- even though Refn doesn't fully allow you to do so.

Only God Forgives is filmmaking of the highest order. It's the most stunning and haunting film to come around in a long time. From its perplexing start to its highly powerful -- and unexpectedly moving -- conclusion, Only God Forgives is a brilliant piece of cinema that must be experienced. It's an insanely ambitious work that defies comprehension. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't understand it all. (But again, who will)? However, I admired Only God Forgives ever so deeply. It is masterful. Three and a half stars out of four.

No comments:

Post a Comment