Thursday, January 9, 2014

American Hustle Review


American Hustle
2 stars out of 4
By Brett Takeshita

You might be thinking that I've lost my mind. How could I not recommend one of 2013's most acclaimed films? Well, it's a little complicated. American Hustle has one of the finest acting ensembles of the year. The larger-than-life performances are absolutely electric. But for me, the overly convoluted plot proved more frustrating than fun. 

American Hustle opens with the clever title card that reads, "Some of this actually happened." Set during the time of tacky clothes and wacky hairstyles that was the 1970s, American Hustle introduces us to a strange little pair. Con man Irving (Christian Bale) and his mistress Sydney (Amy Adams) take advantage of the unintelligent, and swindle people left and right. However, they go a little bit too far and get caught by nutty FBI agent Richie (Bradley Cooper). Richie then forces Irving and Sydney to join him in a wild world of crime and danger that includes the mystifying Mayor Carmine Polito (Jeremy Renner). Back at home, Irving's unpredictable wife, Rosalyn (Jennifer Lawrence), is stirring up a whole bunch of trouble at home that is interfering with both Irving's life and missions.

American Hustle is slick and stylish with its multiple Scorsese influences. You can tell that David O. Russell, who directed and co-wrote the film with Eric Singer, put a lot of effort into this project. The period details are perfect, with the hair, make-up, and art direction being particularly eye-catching in their authenticity. This is one of Russell's most visually interesting films as well, with the dynamic camerawork constantly moving in sudden, whip-like motions. And can we talk about the acting? David O. Russell is a master of getting sensational performances from his actors, and here, they are magic.

For once, Christian Bale gets to let loose from all the serious roles that he's been doing and gets to show off how hilarious he is. Amy Adams, one of our most talented chameleon actresses, shows off another side of herself with her seduction and intensity. Bradley Cooper impresses by being funny and fiery in equal measure. Jeremy Renner gets to step away from his normal action roles and have some fun, and he, too, proves that he's up for and capable of anything.

By far the most impressive performance in American Hustle is from the unstoppable Jennifer Lawrence. She has the least amount of screen-time in this film, but she's a flawless scene-stealer. It helps that Rosalyn is easily the most fun and interesting character in the film, but Lawrence seems like she had a blast with this role. She's an unpredictable little fire cracker who will have you belly-laughing. Her comedic timing, her awareness of her character's insane psychology, and her commitment to absurdity is impeccable. This might be the best performance from a supporting actress in all of 2013.

I wish there were more of Rosalyn (and Lawrence) in American Hustle, for the movie would've been more interesting. Maybe I'm too dumb to understand all of the con talk in this film, but I could not keep track of what was happening. One minute one person is getting conned, and then the next minute, something else completely different is happening. To me, this film became a little too crazy and messy for my tastes. I was dying to keep up with the exhausting, dizzying plot twists and movements, but I eventually gave up. I was just lost. The performances kept me interested, and all the fantastic scenes with Rosalyn captivated me, but then I was simply frustrated until the end. This story was definitely way too hard for me to follow.

I'm probably alone here. I know that someday, I probably need to see American Hustle again for I feel like I'm missing something. But this movie was inaccessible and a little off-putting (perhaps even a bit pretentious) in its refusal to keep things streamlined. There is some fine filmmaking going on here (after all, Russell is one of the best American directors working today), and I'd be happy if all the actors got awards consideration, but unfortunately, American Hustle is a disappointing overrated mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment